C Programming Language – Overview
C programming language is the most popular general purpose programming language which was developed by “Dennis Ritchie” at AT&T Bell Laboratory (USA) in 1970’s.
AT&T stands for American Telegraph and Telecommunication that is located in USA.
This language was derived from BCPL (Basic Combined Programming Language) and B language.
These language are not popular due to type-less language. Its main objective is to develope system software as OS, Compiler, Interpreter, Assembler, Linker, Loader etc.
It is also used to develope application software as School Management System, Supermarket Management System, Medicine Automation System etc.
UNIX OS was written in C programming language. It is a case sensitive language. It means lower case is not equivalent to upper case.
Pros of C programming language :-
- C supports procedural/modular/structured/conventional programming. Procedural programming is a traditional method which is used to reduce the complexity of program. In this case a large program can be divided into several parts. That parts is called function or module.
- It is said to be mid or middle level language because it supports both high level programming language and low level programming language.
- It supports system programming. In this case a system programmer can design Operating System, Compiler, Interpreter, Linker, Loader etc.
- It is a portable language. It means, C programming can be executed on different Operating System such as Windows, Linux, MAC, Solaris etc.
- It is Compiler based programming language, so its execution is fast.
- It supports graphics programming. In this case we can design human face, car, umbrella etc.
- It is collection of the reach set of library function as mathematical function, character function, string function etc.
Cons of C programming language :-
- It is platform dependent/hardware dependent because the size of data type can be changed according to different compiler.
- It does not support object oriented programming.
- It does not support any database such as ORACLE, MySQL, SQL Server, DB2 etc.
- It does not support “Exception Handling”.
- It is not secure language because it supports pointer.
- It does not support garbage collection.
Applications of C Programming Language :-
- It is also used to develope System Software as Operating System, Compiler, Interpreter, Linker, Loader etc.
- It is also used to design application software as School Management System, Hotel Management System, Supermarket Management System, Medicine Automation System etc.
- We can design game application with the help of graphics in C programming language.
- It is used to develope embedded software as network drivers, setup-box and other electronics kits.
- C programming is also used in Robotics.